11 May 2010

Creative Workshop

Tonight I hosted my very first creative writing workshop. I have been doing creative writing since 8th grade, and in the last few years I’ve been in high gear due to enrolling at the University of New Mexico for a degree in English. I’ve never taught a class before in my life. I’ve tutored before, but in math, which is much different than writing.

I struggled to prepare the material for the class, unsure of what would work and what wouldn’t work. I fretted here and there, thinking. In the end, I had to sit down over the last two days and just look through stuff. Which of course did not help. I finally made an outline of what I wanted to do, and jotted down some notes, and a few excerpts that I wanted to read from stories to give an idea of what we’d be working on.

It turned out that I didn’t need to plan as much as I did. The outline was wonderful and proved so useful to return to. It gave a nice flow, and a goal. But I didn’t follow it exactly or perfectly. I let the class flow as it would and made sure to involve everyone in the class as best I could.

Everyone in attendance said it was wonderful and they learned something. I did not feel nervous during the whole time; I just wanted to have fun, and hopefully everyone else would too. I’m truly flattered and astounded that the people involved loved it, appreciated it, and learned something. That makes it worthwhile.

I deal with my insecurities by seeking out positive attention, which usually doesn’t work for long. I’m hoping this boost will last some time, and impact my life in a meaningful way. Feeling good, appreciated, and useful is something I don’t experience enough. I’m glad I had this opportunity to teach. Wonderful, smooth, fun experience, and I hope each time I do a workshop it turns out as well or better. Thank you to all who came!

1 comment:

Mark David Gerson said...

Teaching, like writing, is all about staying in the flow, responding to the moment and relaxing into the experience. Sounds like you did all of that....and did it wonderfully well.

Congrats!!!