29 June 2009

Think Less, Imagine More

After writing some poetry/lyrics today, I had a thought. Think less, imagine more.

As a writer, it is very easy to get stuck in one's own head. Everything written becomes flat and rather lifeless. It can be very intellectual, but not real or personable. I've had issues making my writing real and vivid, as I tend to focus on plot and ideas. In poetry, I'm even worse at that. Images are your friends as a writer.

So I've decided to adopt this slogan, and post it on my three ring-binder. Think less, imagine more.

Tell me what you think about this.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Imagination when joined with passion, will create some of the neatest of writings. I like to write with the flow of feelings and emotion... and tend to create a style that reveals a story of life.

A glimpse albeit for a few hours or reading that allows one to drift off into a new reality or reflection.

Mark David Gerson said...

When I teaching writing workshops (and there's a blackboard or white board), I'll often write in BIG letters: WRITE! DON'T THINK!!

I agree with Tom about passion. It's the food that fuels all creativity. It's easy to get stuck in the head stuff. It's the heart stuff, though, that will always grab the reader.