24 September 2009

Life At This Moment

Sometimes we just do not know what to do.

I have been facing big decisions. Should I go to grad school? Where? When? Should I move home? Should I stay put?

They may not seem like huge problems, but they can be. Graduate work is not easy. Getting into grad school is no cakewalk. Moving twice within a year is not an easy thing, but having little money is a big concern. How am I going to be able to afford basic living? Student loans? Grad applications? Visiting them if I get in?

I have made progress with the graduate schools. Not huge progress, but I've started the application process by getting my supporting documents ready. MFA programs are not the easiest to get into. Hundreds if not thousands apply and only a handful get in, making my chances slim to none. What if I don't get in? What will I do then?

Nothing worth anything is easy, so I'm hoping this is all worth it! I may move back home if my plans for grad school fall through. It's something I haven't given much thought, but I don't think I can stay here in ABQ. I like it, but this isn't where I'm supposed to be. I feel pulled elsewhere, and the problem is: I don't know where.

My friend, Kathy, just came through town, and this triggered a few things in my mind. She just moved home after finishing her grad program. I've been thinking of moving back home, because it is a bit expensive for me to live here on what I make. After grad school I hope that I do not have to move home, but I may for a short period to get back on my feet (if need be).

Let's all hope that this next year is great and that we all do better. This is a tough time for everyone.

No comments: