05 August 2009

Nutrition and Exercise

Hello all,

As you may know, I've been working on my nutrition and fitness for about a year now. I've lost a total of about 10 lbs, and at least 5% body fat. It's been a pretty difficult road so far, much harder than I thought it would be.

The hardest part is the diet. I've reduced my calorie intake and the down. My calorie total consumption comes from 20% fat, 30% protein, and 50% carbs. Believe me, getting that much protein is difficult without making the other numbers sky-rocket! I've got almost all the protein from food, with just a portion coming from food. Reducing the fat is probably the easiest part of it. I cut out cheeses (for the most part) and almost all other dairy products. It has taken me a year just to change the way I eat, and I feel better for it. Not to say that I can't have something "delicious" once in a while, but I just can't be doing it everyday.

I work at a job that doesn't require me to put in a lot of work, I just have to be there. So for the past week or so, I've been looking at ways to eat better. Yesterday I did a huge meal planning session, so now I've got the basic set up of what I'm going to be eating for a while. It's not terribly boring because I've allowed myself to eat as much veggies as I want (not that I want a whole lot mind you, but it increases what I can eat).

For the other portion, I looked at my exercises. I've been going to the gym, but I realized that I'm not doing all that I can (even though going period is better than not going). It just takes time to figure out want needs to be done and adapt. For me, I've got the push going right now. That happens when you spend money on the gym! So now, I've got what I think will help me get to where I want to be. Healthy, full of energy, and easy on the eyes :P

So today's words of wisdom, you are what you eat!

No comments: